Thursday, June 29, 2006

Want to know if you are gay?

I love Scientific American. I'm currently reading about the origin of the human species in an awesome special edition of the magazine.

In other news: I was trolling their site and found [this] very interesting article. It states that a new study has found that the odds of a man being gay are increased based on the number of biological brothers he has. It doesn't matter if the brothers grew up with the man or not, just the fact that the mother gave birth to other boys does the trick.

The article didn't mention why this would be the case, or potential benefits species-wise, but states that the mother may produced certain antibodies that causes a subsequent male child to be gay.

I have a theory, one of population control. Maybe homosexuality is nature’s way of making sure a species doesn't propagate too much. After producing a certain number of boys (walking inseminators) a woman's body produces antibodies that influence her next boy to be gay. Thereby helping to ensure he won't go out and create more humans.

I love the idea. Though, of course, there are plenty of gay men who are only children or don't have any brothers (why is everyone looking at me?) but I think the theory holds in general, and the study speaks for itself.

That is, until it's proven incorrect.

[Go read it.]

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Bitterness and hatred of children are also a good population control devise. I do not know if any studies have been conducted to look into this, but if they would like some test subjects, I recommend the youngest generation of the Lehe family.

June 29, 2006 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Also, you know how I know you're gay? Cause you listen to Coldplay.
40 year old virgin anyone?

June 29, 2006 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Claude said...

I'm not gay because I listen to Coldplay, I'm gay because I want to sex up Chris Martin.

And I don't get your 40-year-old virgin reference.

June 29, 2006 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Claude said...

And I don't even listen to Coldplay anymore.

June 29, 2006 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

No, no one listens to Coldplay anymore. In the 40-year old virigin (which is probably funnier if you watch it stoned, which is the state in which I believe it was written), the secondary characters play this 'game' in which they start out "You know how I know you're gay..." and then end with
-because you macramed yourself a pair of jean shorts
-Cuz you're gay and you can tell who other gay people are
-You like Coldplay
It is one of those 'jokes' borne of fierce heterosexuality (also sometimes called homophobia.)
Anyway, that's the reference.

June 30, 2006 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Claude said...

Ok, now I get it. That's answers a few questions I had concerning why you even knew I listened to Coldplay.

June 30, 2006 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home