Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Non-Hierarchical List in Progress of My "Hi, Bye" Friends

As the name suggests, this list is incomplete. It is just a beginning. For further information about the details of Hi, Bye friendship, please see Jonathan Goldstein's piece in TAL episode: Allure of the Mean Friend, 9/5/03, Episode 245 www.thisamericanlife.org. Here goes:

Robert Rosenblum, curator emeritus for the Guggenheim
The superintendent on Waverly Place who once asked me out
Fred Ritchin, photo historian I have met many times but never seems to be able to place me
Emily Stephens, girlfriend of conversational friend
The janitor in my building
Abe Lincoln (Mike something), friend of friends, Abraham Lincoln look-alike
The jovial 30-something man who is always in the digital lab and may or may not be a professor in the film department
Sandra Jackson, Director of Education, Studio Museum in Harlem
Veronica, from the cage
The bagel guy
Dosa man

7 Comments:

Blogger Claude said...

Is that just a list of random names, jobs, and dead presidents, or would what you wrote make sense if I knew what Hi, Bye friendship was?

June 21, 2006 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Well, it is somewhat random, insofar as these are the Hi, Bye friends I could think of. You should listen to the Jonathan Goldstein piece, because it is quite funny and great, but a Hi, Bye friend is a friend you say hi and bye to, but share little else with. This is the relationship I have with the people on that list. For instance, you would be ineligible for hi, bye friendship with me because we, as Ms. Jackson might say, 'conversate' when we see one another.

June 21, 2006 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Claude said...

Sounds intersting, I'll take a look at JG's piece.

June 21, 2006 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Well Sarah, you are not on my list, and although not all Hi, Bye friends are on the list, you would certainly surpass such a designation.

June 21, 2006 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger Claude said...

"Lady?"

June 21, 2006 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Listen, Claude, I'll deal with you later.
Sarah, you are more like talking to an interactive google image search.

June 22, 2006 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Claude said...

Jennifer, you know where I live. Bring it!

June 23, 2006 at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home